November is recognized as National Adoption Awareness Month. A Presidential Proclamation brings awareness to important adoption–related issues and the children waiting for adoptive families. Local news stations, community centers, and adoption organizations often have activities to celebrate adoption around the country. National Adoption Month is a time to celebrate all of the beautiful and diverse ways in which families are created. It’s also a time to educate–about open adoption, about real options, about family support–and to share our stories of challenges, happiness, struggles, and joy. At Spence-Chapin, we strive to do that every day for the women, children, and families we serve.
Here are Spence-Chapin’s ideas for how to celebrate National Adoption Month!
- Support a friend or family member who is adopting. Send a note to someone adopting to let them know you’re thinking of them and supporting their family.
- Attend an event to learn about adoption. Join an event in your community to learn about adoption and hear from birth parents, adoptive parents, and/or adoptees! Spence-Chapin has a variety of great events and informative webinars throughout the month of November. Check out our calendar for all of our activities!
- Spread the word! Share information about adoption with your community on social media. Spence-Chapin has a very active blog with posts that cover interesting topics, making it easy to share with your friends and family on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
- Volunteer with a foster care or adoption organization.Many non-profit organizations couldn’t fulfill their mission without the help of dedicated and passionate volunteers! At Spence-Chapin, we rely on volunteers for our Interim Care Program and our Mentorship Program.
- Fundraise for an adoption organization.Non-profit adoption organizations work hard to make their services accessible for anyone that wants to build their family though adoption. In addition, many non-profit adoption organizations provide other low or no-cost services to families. At Spence-Chapin, this includes our Special Needs Adoption Program, Interim Care Program, Granny Program, and many community events and programming for families that rely on the contributions of our supporters.
- Encourage your office to offer adoption benefits.Adoption benefits are not universally available to new adoptive parents but are extremely important for new families. Encourage your company to be recognized as an Adoption-Friendly Workplace by the Dave Thomas Foundation.
- Write about your experience or connection to adoption.Bring attention to adoption by writing about your experience or connection to adoption on a blog or social media!! Spence-Chapin would love to share your story on our website!